Ahikaa programmes embody a fusion of the internationally acclaimed NFTE entrepreneurship education programmes with the entrepreneurial traditions of Polynesia and tikanga of New Zealand Maori.
Under the guardianship of Entrepreneurship New Zealand Trust, the Ahikaa vision includes:
- Empowering families, whanau, hapu, iwi, aiga and communities to utilise and develop their resources
- Providing youth and families/whanau/aiga with understanding and tools to foster economic sustainability
- Enabling full participation in local economies
- Linking with international networks and gaining global opportunities
- Promoting rangatiratanga as the practical implementation of our individual and group potential.
We believe that within every person lies many talents; gifts that sometimes we need help to discover so that we can go on to achieve our potential.
Through entrepreneurship education, the NFTE curriculum and teaching philosophy helps people build skills and unlock their entrepreneurial creativity. Students’ learning experiences are supported by a comprehensive and internationally accredited curriculum, specialist teacher training, and support. Through Entrepreneurship New Zealand Trust’s partnership with the New York-based NFTE, AHIKAA provides a range of learning materials, a hands-on practice-based curriculum, exciting entrepreneurial activities, and ongoing student/alumni and teacher development opportunities inside and outside the formal learning environment.
The courses provide internationally recognised certification for eligible participants through the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship (NFTE: New York) at Basic, Intermediate and Advanced levels, plus recognised Ahikaa certification.